History: Video of Jackie Robinson Playing Football for UCLA Will Brighten Your Day (Bleacher Report)
Pay close attention to No. 28 on the field. He is the old-school maestro who gets the ball in the backfield to start the video. Like a lithe Marshawn Lynch, he just won’t go down.
The best part of the short but captivating archive footage has to be Robinson playing savior at the 39-second mark. With USC about a yard away from getting the game’s only touchdown, Robinson lays down a devastating hit to blast the football loose.
The man could run, and he could most certainly hit, in just about any sport.
- The National Women’s Soccer League lands TV deal with Fox Sports (AP via ESPNW)
- FIFA declares Libya safe to host World Cup qualifiers (AP via Yahoo)
- Lawsuit names White Sox owner, former governor. Like Kelley Howard, who is suing Geno Auriemma for discrimination, Perri Irmer, is a black woman. (AP via Yahoo):
The former head of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority filed a lawsuit Monday against White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and former Illinois Gov. Jim Thompson, claiming they conspired to fire her two years ago to stop her reforms at the public agency. Perri Irmer, the agency’s former executive director, filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Chicago. It claims Reinsdorf and Thompson “sought to silence Perri Irmer and to stifle her efforts to protectIllinois taxpayers from Reinsdorf’s greed.”
- Israel bars Gaza runners from first West Bank marathon (BBC News)
- No disrespect, but another assistant who’s a black woman could coach at Washington (Women Talk Sports)
- England manager Roy Hodgson criticises growing number of foreign players in the Premier League (Telegraph)
- The Professional Footballers’ Association and the Football League agreed to push ahead with a radical new plan called Coaching Fair Play which they hope will transform managerial recruitment among the 72 clubs, including ensuring black candidates are invited for interview. (Telegraph)
- Youth Sports Initiative Launched For LGBT Athletes And Straight Allies (Buzzfeed)
- Brittney Griner, An Openly Gay Basketball Player In Baylor’s Sea Of Homophobia (Think Progress)
- A year old but still a good read: THE WNBA PROBLEM:Play Like a Man, Act Like a Lady (Ebony)
War and Sports Shape Better Artificial Limbs (New York Times)
More than 1,600 American service members lost limbs in Iraq or Afghanistan, mainly to homemade bombs not unlike the ones that maimed scores of people in Boston on Monday. Now, the vast body of knowledge gained from treating those troops is likely to help speed and improve the recovery of people whose limbs were amputated after Monday’s attack, experts say.
Ugh: Rutgers University has reached a $475,000 settlement agreement with Mike Rice, agreeing to pay the fired men’s basketball coach for the remaining two years of his contract (ESPN)
Alllllllll righty, then:
- Sochi Olympic Organizers: Ugh, Fine. We Won’t Kill 2,000 Stray Cats And Dogs (Deadspin)
- We Know Whose NFL Combine Hotel Room Was Covered In Piss And Shit (Deadspin)
- Croatian Coach Fired After Stealing Player’s Credit Card for Jagermeister Bender (Bleacher Report)
- Former President George H.W. Bush helps announce the 2013 Houston Texans Cheerleaders (Houston Chronicle)
Take off your hat and get our your kleenex: the crowd at the Boston Bruins‘ game sing the hell out of the US National Anthem: